Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

One thing most people are surprised to find out about me is I LOVE LOVE LOVE homesteading, simplicity and all things vintage. I still don't know why people are so surprised by that (maybe because all of my younger years I was pretty high maintenance LOL and I'm ok with admitting it.)
After the birth of So and our move back to WV and the purchase of our land (turned farm) I fell in love with the Earth, nature and being at one with God and no better way of doing that than getting back to the land. So now with a herd of goats, flock of Dominique chickens, pigs and horses I think I'm finally living the life I was meant to live. It has been great for So she is so dedicated to her animals and she love caring for them! <----So that's what i warned you of occasional ramblings of a farmgirl!
So today as I was doing laundry I realized I was out of detergent what would you do? Run to Wal-Mart? I'm not partial to WalMart because they aren't for the small business (which is what America was founded upon) So with just a few supplies kept on hand you can have laundry detergent for a very small price. The best part it's almost all natural and you can't beat that!

Here's what you need
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda--not baking soda
2 cups finely grated Fels-Naptha
1 cup Borax
Grater
Large Bowl
Mason Jar or any airtight container

All the ingredients can be found at Kroger in the laundry aisle

Here's what you do.

1.) finely grate Fels-Naptha
2.) Mix all ingredients very well
3.)Store in an airtight container I prefer a Mason Jar b/c of it's beautiful simplicity. You could also add a fabric topper and a list of directions in case you are blessed enough to have someone help with the laundry!
This recipe makes one quart of powder and you will need to use 2 tablespoon per full load of laundry!
It's super simple! However grating the Fels-Naptha could really be counted as exercise!


Many Blessing,
Lesha Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment